What are toy dog breeds?
Dog breeds which typically weigh roughly less than 15 to 20 pounds or 7 to 9 kg are known as toy dog breeds. Toy dog breeds are known for their small size and often make great companions due to their manageable stature. Here's a list of popular to lesser-known toy dog breeds:
- Chihuahua: One of the tiniest breeds, known for its bold personality.
- Pomeranian: Small and fluffy, with a distinctive mane of fur around the neck.
- Yorkshire Terrier (Yorkie): Elegant and affectionate, known for their silky coats.
- Maltese: A toy breed with a long, flowing white coat and a friendly demeanour.
- Shih Tzu: Known for their luxurious, flowing coat and friendly disposition.
- Pekingese: A small, toy breed with a distinctive mane of fur and a dignified appearance.
- Papillon: Known for their butterfly-like ears, they are friendly and intelligent.
- Toy Poodle: A smaller version of the standard poodle, known for its intelligence and hypoallergenic coat.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: A friendly and affectionate toy breed with a distinctive silky coat.
- French Bulldog: While not the tiniest, French Bulldogs are still considered toy breeds and are known for their compact size and charming personalities.
- Italian Greyhound: A slender and elegant toy breed, known for their agility.
- Japanese Chin: A toy breed with a distinctive pushed-in face and a silky coat.
- Havanese: A cheerful and affectionate toy breed with a long, silky coat.
- Coton de Tulear: Known for their cotton-like coats, they are affectionate and lively.
- Brussels Griffon: Small and sturdy, with a distinctive "grumpy" expression.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: Friendly and affectionate, known for their expressive eyes.
- Chinese Crested: Comes in two varieties - hairless and powderpuff - and is known for its unique appearance.
- Toy Fox Terrier: Energetic and intelligent, known for their distinctive coat markings.
- Russian Toy Terrier: A small and lively toy breed with a smooth coat.
- Bichon Frise: A small, fluffy breed known for its playful and gentle nature.
- Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie): While not always considered a toy breed, the Sheltie is a smaller herding dog known for its intelligence and agility.
Benefits of Toy Dog Small Dog Breeds Over Big Dog Breeds:
Choosing between a small toy dog breed and a larger dog breed depends on various factors, including your lifestyle, living space, and personal preferences. Here are some potential benefits of mini toy dog breeds over large dog breeds:
- Since toy dog breeds are quite small, they require less space compared to the larger breeds. Small dogs can easily thrive in houses or in apartment buildings, making them an excellent companion for city dwellers.
- Although small dog breeds need their own share of a daily exercise routine, it is nowhere near as extensive as their larger counterparts. Small dog breeds need exercise and playtime everyday but that isn’t very extensive or hardcore.
- Small dogs do not need a lot of space and thus toy dog breeds can thrive in indoor environments like houses or living in apartments.
- Small dog breeds are perfect for travelling because of their petite stature. You can easily carry the tiny baby in carriers and even in your handbag. Also, a lot of times they fit are often allowed in-cabin on flights.
Cost of Care:
- Smaller dog means a smaller requirement of food which drastically reduces dietary expenses.A small dog also means lesser number of fur and as a result, reduces grooming costs and less extensive grooming routines as well.
- Small breeds often have less fur, and grooming requirements may be less time-consuming and less frequent compared to larger breeds with long or thick coats.
- In many cases, smaller dog breeds tend to live longer than larger breeds. This can result in a longer companionship with your pet.
- Petite dogs can be easier to train and manage compared to large dog breeds. The best toy dog breeds advantage is also that individuals with physical limitations might find it easier to take care of smaller dog breeds.
Bonding and Companionship:
- Small dogs are often lap dogs and can be more portable, making them excellent companions for people who enjoy having their pets close by.
Easier to Lift and Carry:
- In case of injury, illness, or old age, it's generally easier to lift and carry a small dog compared to a larger one.
Reduced Impact on Furniture and Belongings:
- Smaller dogs generally cause less wear and tear on furniture, and they're less likely to accidentally knock over household items due to their size.
Low Intimidation Factor:
- Smaller dogs may be less intimidating to guests or individuals who are uneasy around larger breeds. This can make social interactions more comfortable.
While these are potential benefits, it's crucial to note that individual dogs, regardless of size, have unique personalities and needs. Careful consideration of your own lifestyle, preferences, and ability to meet a dog's requirements is essential when choosing a pet, whether large or small. Additionally, responsible breeding practices and ethical considerations should always guide the acquisition of any pet.
How to Get Supplies for Toy Dog Breeds in India?
The best place to get supplies for your favourite toy dog breeds in India is PetKonnect. The founder of PetKonnect, India’s most comprehensive pet-services community for domesticated and stray animals, Devanshi Shah, felt the same after her beloved Havanese pup Hazel met her untimely departure in 2017. She established PetKonnect in 2019 with the motto “for love beyond words.” PetKonnect helps pet parents get detailed information regarding various pet and animal issues, enables you to get supplies, connect with other pet parents, register your furry babies with local government authorities, and access many emergency services, all in one place.
Let’s appreciate the cute and feisty toy dog breeds and give them the best life possible. Last but not least, adopt, don’t shop and shower your little furry baby with lots of love and treats.